The ADN’s Special Session Let’s Talk About Avoidable Deaths: Views from Multiple Perspectives was launched at the ‘International Conference on Geographical Science for Resilient Communities, Ecosystems and Livelihoods under Global Environmental Change’ (G.O.R.I.L.L.A) on 4 December 2020 in collaboration with Makerere University, Uganda. Please click here to read the description of this Special Session and click here to listen to the recording of this Special Session.
In 2021, the ADN will organise several Special Sessions all around the world.
The aims of these Special Sessions are:
- To raise awareness on the concept of avoidable deaths by engaging with multi-disciplinary experts and researchers;
- To explore the multi-disciplinary appeal and application of avoidable deaths caused by the natural world (e.g. snake bites) and human-made systems (e.g. premature deaths and maternal deaths during disasters);
- To raise awareness on the first two global targets of the UN’s ‘Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction’, which are geared towards reducing disaster deaths and the number of people affected by disasters by 2030;
- To identify the challenges and opportunities of reducing disaster deaths through the concept of avoidable deaths; and
- To promote state and non-state collaborations through North-South, South-South and triangular cooperation to advance the agenda of avoidable deaths in order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, especially for Targets 1.5, 3.8, 11.5 and 13.1.
ADN’s forthcoming Special Sessions in Spring are:
6 February 2021 – The Special Session Responding to Domestic Fires and Coastal Flooding: Lessons from UK, India and Cambodia will be delivered on 6 February 2021 for the Nigerian Red Cross Society, National Emergency Management Agency.
4 March 2021 – The Special Session The Role of Junior Champions and Future Leaders in Avoidable Deaths will be delivered on 4 March 2021 at the Center for Disaster Management, University of Management and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan.
March 2021 – The Special Session Let’s Talk about Avoidable Deaths in the Context of Himalayan Mountain Communities will be organised in collaboration with ‘Himalayan Emerging Leaders Program on Empowerment, Resilience and Sustainability (HELPERS)’in March, 2021. This Session will cover the entire Hindu-Kush Himalayan region. The exact date will be confirmed soon.
April 2021 – The Special Session Let’s Talk About Silent Deaths from Nutritional Crises in Odisha, India will be delivered in April 2021, in collaboration with ADN Hub India (Orissa State Voluntary Social Worker’s association), Doers and Tata Steel, Odisha. The exact date will be confirmed soon.